lunes, 26 de mayo de 2014

REPORTED SPEECH 1

REPORTED SPEECH   1


REPORTING STATEMENTS

·         When we change a sentence from Direct Speech to Reported Speech, there are some necessary changes in pronouns and possessive adjectives, verbal tenses and time and place expressions  . 

                     Liz said: ' I will be here tomorrow'
                     Liz said that she would be there the following day.
·           When the reporting verb is in the Past Simple, we make the following changes:


DIRECT SPEECH
REPORTED SPEECH
Present Simple
Julie said, ‘I play tennis every Saturday.’
Past Simple
Julie said  (that) she played tennis every Saturday.
Present Progressive
John said, ‘I’m working.’
Past Progressive
John said (that) he was working.
Past Simple
Ian said, ‘I turned the lights off.’
Past Perfect Simple
Ian said (that) he had turned the lights off.
Present Perfect Simple
Sandra said, ‘I’ve never travelled abroad.’
Past Perfect Simple
Sandra said (that) she had never travelled abroad.
Present Perfect Progressive
Andy said, ‘I’ve been waiting for an hour!’
Past Perfect Progressive
Andy said (that) he had been waiting for an hour.
Will
‘I’ll wait for you,’ said Alex.
Would
Alex said (that) he would wait for me.
Can
Simon said, ‘I can’t fix it!’
Could 
Simon said (that) he couldn’t fix it.
May
Catherine said, ‘I may have this number.’
Might
Catherine said (that) she might have his number.
Must
Bill said, ‘I must work hard!’
Had to
Bill said (that) he had to work hard.
Conditional Sentences Type 1
Diane said, ‘If we take a taxi, we’ll get there quicker.’
Conditional Sentences Type 2
Diane said (that) if they took a taxi, they would get there quicker.
This / these
She said, ‘These shoes are very tight.’
That / those
She said (that) those shoes were very tight.
Here
Eric said, ‘I saw it here.’
There
Eric said (that) he had seen it there.
Now
Mandy said, ‘I’ll talk to him now.’
Then
Mandy said (that) she would talk to him then.
Today / tonight
Dave said, ‘They’re arriving tonight.’
That day / that night
Dave said (that) they were arriving that night.
Yesterday
Donald said, ‘They arrived yesterday.’
The previous day / the day before
Donald said (that) they were arriving that night.
Tomorrow
Kate said, ‘I’ll see them tomorrow.’
The next day / the following day
Kate said (that) she would see them the following day.
Last week / month, etc
Ron said, ‘I saw him last weekend.’
The previous week, etc. / the week, etc. before
Ron said (that) he had seen him the previous weekend.
Next week / month, etc.
Paul said, ‘I’ll be in Brazil next week.’
The following week / month, etc.
Paul said (that) he would be in Brazil the following week.  


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario